Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The awesome arrival of our baby girl on June 30th, 2010...

August 9th, 2010—Almost 6 weeks old…

I’ll begin with I’m sorry that it has taken me almost 6 weeks to write in here about your birth, but more importantly about you—our sweet angel! I have been very busy with you and your big sister and with all of the visitors that have wanted to meet you. There have been SO many!!!

I’m taking our second “date night” (our weekly night out with Grandma watching you girls) to sit here in peace at a coffee shop so that I can write. I think this is the only way I’ll ever write in here between now and when you are 4! You two are keeping me busy and I love it! It is exactly what I always wanted—EXACTLY!

I guess I’ll go back to the day of your birth… I slept no more than an hour the night before. I just couldn’t fall asleep to save my life! I feel like the moment I finally crashed the alarm went off and it was 3:30 a.m.—time to get up and hit the road. I left the house at 4 a.m., picked up Jamie at 4:30 and we were off to the hospital! We were both very excited and a little nervous about the long day we had in store. I’m sure we were each hoping and praying that all went well.

We got situated in our room upon our arrival and we just talked and waited. At 6 they began the IV of meds for Jamie’s strep B. At 10 a.m. they began the pitocin to begin contractions. Jamie was still 3-4 cm dilated. The contractions got stronger and stronger as the drug dosage picked up over time.

Meanwhile, my Mom and Grandpa John showed up. They arrived early, at 7:30 a.m. They said they just couldn’t wait another minute to be there! Too sweet. They came bearing a huge box of bakery goods from the very best bakery in town along with coffee. I must say, this was one big perk for me since I could eat during this delivery... I felt guilty eating a thing but did enjoy my fair share at Jamie’s request. I made sure to enjoy the treats in another room though to avoid torturing Jamie!

At around 9 a.m. your other Grandma arrived along with your Dad and Grace. Everyone was SOOOO excited!!! Grace had her hair all done up and she was wearing her “Big Sister” shirt along with an ear to ear smile. By 9:30 (or so) Uncle Luke and Aunt Rachel arrived. Missy (Jamie’s Sister) and boy Jamie arrived just after them. The photographer came at 11 a.m.

By the time the photographer arrived Jamie was still 3-4 cm dilated. They continued on to break her water anyway. Apparently, you were “floating,” so Jamie wasn’t progressing at all. We were all hoping that you would be here by 11a.m. All of the bets on your birth time came and went… the clock ticked on.

Just before the photographer arrived, the Elders from Jamie’s Mormon Church came and led all of us in prayer. We all held hands around Jamie and prayed. It was beautiful, peaceful and perfect!

Honestly, the day couldn’t have been any more perfect. I enjoyed every single second of it! We all did, Jamie included. Jamie had her epidural right away and swears that she was never in ANY pain. Amazing! We all talked, laughed, and just enjoyed being together while waiting to meet you.

By about 4 p.m. Jamie’s contractions were awesome, yet she was still the same 4cm. We all got worried. They made her put one leg up in a stirrup while laying on her side for 20 minutes. Then they put her on her hands and knees for another 20 minutes. At 4:40 they checked her again and she was 10 cm and ready to push!!! The doctor had to rush over from her office down the street, and she barely made it.

As soon as our OB arrived and said “OK, push!” your head was out. It was VERY scary though because your cord was wrapped around your neck very tightly twice. It was hard to cut because it was so tight but as soon as they were able to cut it you FLEW out—literally flew out like a rocket ship! I was so grateful we had experts on hand to catch you! You were completely stunned and bright purple. You didn’t cry at all. I was soooo scared.

They took you over to the table and worked on you for a while before you turned pink. They suctioned your throat over and over again, thinking there must have been inhaled fluid in there because you weren’t crying. Still, hardly a peep. Jamie then said that a couple of her kids never cried. It was at that point that the doctor said, “Some babies just don’t cry.” They felt that you were fine so we trusted them, and thankfully you were. This was the first telltale sign of what an easy baby you would be!

I then cut your cord and asked them to hand you to Jamie. She held you, kissed you, looked at you, kissed you again and cried tears of pure joy and relief. Job well done!!! After a few minutes she looked at me (I was by her the whole time rubbing her head and telling her how proud of her I was)… Anyway, she looked at me—smiled—and said “Are you ready for YOUR baby?” I wanted to shout “YES, SOOO READY!!!” but instead said, “I’m ready for her when you are ready to give her to me. I’ve waited for 4 years and I will wait 4 more.” Jamie said “I’m ready. Here is your baby.” She reached out her arms with you in them and I reached out mine to accept my gift.

I took you into my chest and cried like I have never cried before. You were finally in MY arms and, man, did it ever feel AMAZING! There wasn’t a dry eye in the room. Every doctor, nurse, and family member was crying. You will, I’m sure, see the amazing video and photo that we have of your birth and you will see just how special this moment was. The saying “A picture is worth a thousand words” couldn’t be more true in this case. It was such a magical time. No one can watch the video or look through the photos without crying. You will always be our miracle baby—our precious, precious gift!!! Your birthday couldn’t have been more perfect!

Grace was in the delivery room too, and she also cried when I cried. I had told her I would cry when Lilly was born but there is no way I could have prepared her (or myself) for a cry like that. I just had no idea that an animalistic cry like that existed. SUCH a happy cry! SUCH a relief! SUCH JOY!!! She too knew they were tears of joy, but it was all very overwhelming for her. She, to this day, says that she is very glad she was in the room and that she was very glad to see her sister be born. I’m glad that she was there and that she was a part of that incredible time in the creation of our family.

You were one large baby and you had a full hear of dark brown hair! It caught us all off guard! You were born at 4:53 p.m. and weighed 8 lbs. 13 oz. You were 20.5” long.

I held you and your Daddy held you skin to skin for an hour and then they bathed you and everyone else got to hold you. Your big sister fed you your first bottle. How special is that?!? Man, she loves you!

By about 8 p.m. everyone left but boy Jamie, and we were moved to our final destinations. Jamie and I had rooms across the hall from one and other. It was GREAT! You spent two nights with me at the hospital, and then we went home. While at the hospital your dad, sister and grandmas came and hung out most of the day. We had many other visitors too… I just couldn’t believe you were real and that you were really ours! WOW!!! I would sit awake all night just loving on you, looking at you, and thanking God for you. My heart was completely overflowing with pure joy, peace and gratitude.

While in the hospital Jamie and I spent many special moments enjoying you. We took turns caring for you while the other showered or ate. We wore matching pajamas. We had the photographer come and take special photos of us together with you… She is SUCH a special person and friend.

Jamie’s whole family came in to see you, and each of her kids loved snuggling you too. Her best friend came to visit as well, and it was so nice to see her be surrounded by so much love and support. Just before Jamie left the hospital we spent some special moments together talking. It was during this time that I gave her the pearl necklace and the card I had written her. I gave her a gift and card for Jamie as well. She was touched and it was wonderful.

After Jamie left, we finished up with all of the “adoption” paperwork and then were given the go ahead to leave. It was magical! They actually wheeled me out with both Lilly and Grace in my arms. We were surrounded with balloons and flowers. Ahhhh…we were on our way home. We were COMPLETE!

We had arrived for the induction on Wednesday and by 11 a.m. on Friday we were on our way home as a foursome, everyone in perfect health. Amazing! Our car was full, our hearts were overflowing, we were at peace.

Life has been surreal since your arrival. You are so beautiful and just the sweetest little thing. We all adore you.

Grace has adjusted really well to being a big sister. She sometimes wants more of my time, but she never blames you. She really loves you SO much! She says “Hi blue eyes!” with so much love in her voice or “Hi little Lillian Kate!” It is so sweet to watch.

We have been in the house most of the past 6 weeks but with many, many visitors. We celebrated Grace’s birthday with a big family party. It was really nice.

This Saturday we are hosting a huge gratitude party BBQ in honor of Jamie and Jamie and their family.  We are expecting about 60 guests. I’ve had beautiful leis made with fresh flowers so that everyone will know exactly which couple helped us create our angel. We are really looking forward to having all of our friends and family together to honor them. It will be great for everyone to really get to know one another. It should be a wonderful day!

Today was the “adoption hearing.” I watched Jamie’s 4 kids while Jamie and Jamie went to the hearing. Pretty funny, huh?!? Quite the “adoption”! Everything went perfectly and you will be 100% ours legally in 21 days, on August 31st.

I will write again more soon because I know there is still so much more to say. So many lessons learned about life and humankind. For now though, my arms and heart are full and life is beyond amazing—it is, for the very first time, COMPLETE.

I promise to cherish you forever and ever my love!!!


Your Mom

PS. I still see Jamie all of the time and she is doing great too! You would never even know she had a baby just a mere six weeks later. The baby weight all fell right off. She feels so great and continues to say that it was the best thing she ever did. She also says that she couldn’t have done it for a better family.

SO, Lillian Kate…it is official…you had the BEST birth story!!! And--you are SOOO LOVED!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment