Wednesday, January 26, 2011

January 26, 2010

17 weeks “baked”—hurray!

The last two weeks have been beyond perfect. I’m wondering where to begin…

I’ll start with yesterday. Yesterday we heard your heartbeat, and it was music to our ears. You are doing great! Jamie continues to look and feel just awesome. She has a little baby bump now and she asked me to feel how hard it was yesterday. You are growing!

Our friendship is also growing. Honestly, I just adore Jamie. She really is the very best person I have ever known. She is so thoughtful, humble, caring, fun and so easy to talk to. I feel like I got much more than I bargained for on this journey because not only am I getting you, my dear, but I am also realizing daily that I have the very best friend one could ever ask for. God really had a plan for me that was so much bigger than any plan I could have ever made for myself. I’m feeling incredibly blessed.

On that note, I really thought that this journey would be harder on me. I thought that missing your kicks would just kill me and that I would be jealous of Jamie’s growing belly. The truth is, I am ok with all of it. More than ok really. You see, in exchange for your kicks I will be able to enjoy you those first few weeks out of the womb while in perfect health. I missed those weeks with Grace… I also sleep well at night, knowing that you are in the very best of hands. You are safe and sound and, in the end, that is all that any of us can ask for.

A week from today we will go to bed knowing if you are our son or our daughter. I really can’t even guess at this point. Grace calls you her brother while your dad calls you his daughter. Jamie and her whole family still think you are a boy, and your Aunt Andrea and Uncle Jay think you are a girl. Both Grandmas refuse to guess.

I have decided, with your Dad’s support, to be done taking new clients for work now. Work has been really, really hard this past year (thanks to our dreadful economy) so I am very excited to be closing that chapter until you are older. I am also looking forward to really enjoying these last months peacefully with Grace since this will be the end of her chapter as an only child.

I forgot to mention that the doctor invited Grace to the ultrasound. She is super excited to see you inside of Jamie’s belly and to learn, with us, if she is having a brother or a sister. That makes next Tuesday even that much more exciting!

The other funny story I wanted to tell you is how a week ago Friday Jamie joined me to surprise many of my friends with our big news. We all went to dinner (12 of us) and my very good friend from middle school and high school announced that she was 12 weeks pregnant. I asked her how she was feeling and she said great except that her nipples hurt. I had just introduced Jamie to these friends and she chimed in to ask Robin, this friend, if she had talked to her doctor about her nipple sensitivity. Robin said “No, why?”

Jamie said “Well, I’m expecting too, and my doctor told me to rub my nipples with a towel after getting out of the shower to prepare them for breast feeding.” Then she asked Robin if she planned on breast feeding. Robin said “Yes, do you?”

Jamie said “No.” She went on to tell everyone (who had by now already all congratulated her) that this was her 6th pregnancy. They were all shocked to say the least. They were saying things like “Sixth? Really?!? You look amazing!!! How old are your kids?”

Jamie went on to tell them that 13 years ago they gave their son up for adoption and that they also have a 5, 3, 2 and 1 year old. Again, everyone was just shocked.

They asked her how she felt about being pregnant again and she said, “Honestly, I don’t want to bring this baby home from the hospital.” Everyone laughed, not knowing what to make of this friend of mine! She said “No, I’m being serious. I really don’t want to bring this baby home.” No one said a word. Then she looked to me and said, “Amy, do you think you and Fred would want this baby?” I said “Absolutely, we would LOVE it!” No one knew where this was going… Then, Jamie said “OK, it’s yours!” They all just looked at us. I said to everyone “Seriously, it’s ours—biologically this is our baby.”

All of these friends knew our long journey and they were SO happy for us. Many of them were crying and they all thanked Jamie for her gift. They had hours worth of questions, and Jamie and I enjoyed answering all of the questions as a team. It was yet another of our magical moments! This really is one GREAT journey! A journey like no other. I and we are so lucky to be on it!!!

Love you, our 17 week old baby!

Xoxoxoxoxoxoxo,

Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment